Continuing Education units are faced with doing more with less. In addition, CE must provide a reasonable contribution to the overall College’s financial overhead. Revenue generation remains a key component to being a viable CE unit. The following submission follows a step-by-step process used to market a new CE website as well as promote project management courses/program. Tools such as Google Analytics, Google Adwords, Great Big News eNewsletter, and Microsoft MapPoint were used concomitantly to provide metrics and measure the return on investment. The final result is a 22% increase in enrolment and a 30 fold increase in Revenue from one Google Ad campaign.
Lessons were learned from this process. Although Google Analytics and Ads are powerful tools, interpreting data requires
- sound knowledge on how the web works
- some marketing experience
- in depth knowledge of the CE environment and factors that affect CE client behaviour
High marketing ROI can be achieved IF YOU
- monitor Google reports daily (and understand them)
- segment your market based on MapPoint, pay attention to GBN metrics, and interpret Google Analytics/Adwords reports
Other lessons learned;
- let CE staff see reports and solicit their interpretation of data
- need to use combination of Google Analytics, Adwords, GBN, MapPoint, and your Internal Data, to be effective
- Must monitor reports daily
- Involve CE staff – they know the client and products
Our conclusion; knowledge of CE market and programs is paramount to ensure success and good ROI. Web marketing experience alone is not enough!